Ayurveda is a 5000 years old health disciple of healing originated from the Vedic system in India. Ayurveda is a powerful tool to bring your mind, body, and soul into perfect harmony. In Ayurveda third eye is known as the center of spirituality, institution, and healing. Shirodhara is an amazing body-mind therapy that is widely practiced in our ancient practice of Ayurveda.
What is Shirodhara??
The word Shirodhara is originated from two Sanskrit word ‘Shira’ which means head and ‘Dhara’ means stream. It is a classic ayurvedic therapy that involves pouring of warm oil steadily over your forehead. This practice has profound benefits as it brings you an immense feeling of calmness, relaxation, and induces sound sleep. It is often used as a therapy for the treatment of stress, migraine, headache, hypertension, and other nervous disorders.
How it works
In Shirodhara, warm oil is poured over your forehead in an oscillating motion until your therapy is completed. As you lie down on the table, your eyes will be covered with cotton cloths, and then a stream of oil will start pouring over your forehead. Generally, the duration of Shirodhara depends on the individual doshas, which is out of synchronization. This therapy leads to the increased blood circulation of your nervous system that enhances your memory.
This leads to soothing and pacifying the out of sync doshas by the thorough application of herbal oil over your forehead.
There is no doubt that a Shirodhara treatment is very relaxing, but apart from that, here are some of the distinct benefits of Shirodhara treatment:
- It reduces anxiety: As the warm oil started pouring over your forehead, it activates the energy points, which is known as Ajna marna or vital points of the body. This activation relieves you from anxiety.
- Shirodhara also improves your sleep as the warm oil stimulates the hypothalamus and regulating the function of pituitary glands hence induces sound sleep.
- Shirodhara is highly proven in pacifying Vata doshas; Vata doshas are comprised of elements of space and air. When Vata accumulates in your body constitution, it can lead to restlessness, chaotic thoughts, and forgetfulness. Warm and steady pouring of oil balance the cool and fluctuating nature of Vata doshas.
- One of the most foremost benefits of Shirodhara is that it counteracts stress. The Shirodhara instantly induces a sense of calmness, tranquility, and deep relaxation by decreasing your breathing and heart rate.
- As we have mentioned above that in Ayurveda, the center of the forehead is known as third eyes; Shirodhara stimulates the third eye that awakens your intuition and wisdom. It also helps in improving your concentration and heightens the sensitivity of your all senses.
- The gently pouring of medicated oil also stimulated your hair follicles hence effective in treating premature graying of your hair and reducing hair fall.
- In Ayurveda, Shirodhara is also known as divine rituals that instantly calm your mind and awaken your intuition.
- Shirodhara is also wonderful for healthy individuals to maintain their health and enhancing their overall wellbeing.
However, Shirodhara is a very safe practice and suitable for all types of doshas, yet there is some precaution that needs to be taken. Pregnant women in their third trimester should not get Shirodhara treatments as it is very difficult for them to lay on their backs for the time span of 40 to 60 minutes.