Flawless skin and great hair is something we all desire in life as people generally associate beauty with good skin and long healthy hair. But sadly there are no quick fixes and only if you are healthy from within then only it will radiate on your skin and hair. But pollution, stress, unhealthy lifestyle takes a toll on the health of skin and hair. Here Ayurveda comes to the rescue, apart from giving herbal remedies for various ailments the ancient scriptures also describe how to take care of hair and skin the natural way. Ayurveda always believes that beauty comes from within and the ancient system of wellness recommends the usage of various herbal face packs, oils that nourishes your skin and hair.
Take care of skin- ayurvedic way
When it comes to Ayurveda beauty is not an external feature hence it is important to treat the imbalances. When it comes to skin it is important to know your doshas constitution as every person has a different skin type depending on the type of dosha which is predominant. Every person has a combination of two or more dosha with one dosha dominant. Here are the types of the skin according to the dosha combination.
- Vata Skin: The skin type with dominant Vata dosha is dry and cool in nature. This type of skin gets flaky in cold weather and wrinkle fast. Also, it is very much prone to ailments such as dermatitis and eczema.
- Pitta skin: The skin type with dominant pitta dosha is hot and thick in nature. When the pitta aggravated it leads to skin rashes, acne, pimples, and inflammation due to increased heat.
- Kapha skin: When Kapha is dominant the skin type is smoother and thicker in nature. It is oily in nature and generally, people with dominant Kapha dosha doesn’t get wrinkle till late in their life.
Combination of skin types:
Vata and pitta: dry and sensitive
Kapha and pitta: oily and sensitive
Ayurvedic herbs for great skin
- Aloe vera: Ghritkumari or aloe vera is proven to give your relief from skin problems due to its cooling properties. You can use its gel on your skin and leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off. It nourishes and heals your skin naturally.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood in Ayurveda is known as the fragrance of paradise and is used for centuries for smooth and younger-looking skin. You can make a paste of sandalwood powder with rose water and apply it all over your face and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Neem: Known for the antimicrobial properties it manages various skin ailments. It is highly beneficial for acne-prone skin. It deep cleanses pores and improves the texture of the skin.
Know as golden spice turmeric is also used in Ayurveda for its beauty benefits. It purifies your blood and anti-inflammatory in nature and works wonders for your skin.
Ayurveda for healthy hair
Like skin, the health of hair also depends on the dosha that is predominant in nature. Type of hair according to dosha constituents:
Vata hair: Vata is generally cool and dry in nature hence hairs with dominant Vata dosha are dry and rough in nature due to lack of moisture. The hair is usually thin in nature, weak at the scalp, porous, and very much prone to dandruff.
Pitta hair: Hair type with dominant pitta dosha is smooth and silky in nature. When pitta imbalances it leads to thinning and premature greying and baldness. The textures of hair are medium with an oily scalp.
Kapha hair: The dominant Kapha hairs are thick and lustrous in nature. The texture of the hair is thick and less porous in nature.
Ayurvedic ingredients for healthy hair
- Coconut: Coconut oil is extremely beneficial when it comes to ensuring the healthy growth of hair. You can massage your scalp for warm coconut oil and leave it overnight and wash it off in the morning.
- Brahmi: It is also a popular ayurvedic herb that promotes strong and healthy growth of hair. It deeply nourishes your scalp and strengthens the blood vessels around the scalp that promote hair growth and reduce hair fall.
- Bhringraj: Known as a king of Ayurvedic herbs when it comes to nourishing hairs. It is rich in antioxidants, improves the luster of hair, rejuvenates hair, and promotes healthy growth of hair. It stops hair fall and also curbs the problem of dandruff.
Beauty tips from Ayurveda for healthy hair and great skin
Oiling has a special place in Ayurveda. Massaging the hair and scalp with herbal oil helps in nourishing the hair from a deeper level. It also stimulates the blood circulation in the scalp that relieves the problems such as dandruff and hair fall. That same goes with the skin of the body; the practice of abhyanga holds a special place in Ayurveda. It not only promotes healthy blood circulation that promotes healthy skin and also moisturizes it on a deeper level. For the face, you can go for Ayurvedic face massages in Rishikesh.
Follow a dosha specific diet: Follow a diet that is suited according to your dosha. This will balance your dosha which not only improves your general health but also improves the health of your skin and hair. Take a diet which is full of nutrient, protein, and minerals.
Stay away from stress
Your mental health is reflected in your hair and skin. If you are stressed it shows on your skin hence practice deep breathing exercises and meditation to ward off the stress.
The daily practice of yoga promotes healthy blood circulation in the body which is necessary for the health of skin and hair.